Celebrating Modern Jewish Living Through Food, Tradition, and Family
The Backstory: Walk into any diner or Jewish deli restaurant and you will more than likely find chicken salad on the menu. However, this refreshing salad, made with avocado has been a relatively newcomer to menus. With avocados so common in the market, more and more people are incorporating this once considered exotic fruit into their recipes. Who would have thought that something as exotic as the avocado would have found its way to the Jewish deli and onto its menu? More of the Backstory after the recipe…
Chicken Salad with Avocado
- 2-3 cups Kosher cooked chicken, skin removed, cut into medium size chunks
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper red, yellow or orange peppers can be used
- 2 medium oranges peeled and sectioned mandarin oranges can be used.
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans almonds, walnuts can be uses.
- 1/2+ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp. Kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 2+ tbsp. fresh lemon juice, divided
- 2-3 ripe avocados do not peel or cut until salad comes out or the refrigerator.
- 1 11 ounce box of salad greens
In a large bowl mix chicken, peppers, pecans, mayonnaise, orange pieces, salt, pepper and 1 tbsp. lemon juice. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Remove from fridge and set aside.
On a large platter arrange the salad greens. Evenly place the chicken mixture on top. Peel the avocados, remove the pit, and scoop out the fruit. Cut the avocado into small pieces and scatter on top of the salad. Drizzle the lemon juice over all. Serve immediately.
So, whether you order this when you are out in a restaurant or prepare this at home, try avocados in a variety of salads, wraps, or sandwiches. This versatile fruit has some health benefits too: they’re an excellent source of fiber, vitamins, C, E, K, and potassium and are considered a healthy fat. Who knew?